Tuesday, March 7, 2017

A Cornflower Ensemble

As Promised, here are details on my latest Edwardian project.

Back in November we planned a trip, and bought tickets to Biltmore Estate in NC, a favorite haunt of ours. (See Our Engagement) This would have been E-bug's first trip, and we were so excited for him to see it during the Christmas season. Sadly circumstances dictated that we had to put it off.

This turned out to be a good thing as it meant I had time, with no interruptions to plan a new outfit!

Our second Wedding Anniversary was on Valentine's day so we decided to plan the trip around that.

I had no particular dress in mind, so in mid January when things finally calmed down, I took to Pinterest, my favorite place for mind fodder. I wanted something simple, because I didn't really have a LOT of time, but elegant.

I finally came across this lovely original, (Click picture for link)  that had been for sale on Ebay.

My original plan was to copy it fairly closely, but to have simple bishop sleeves instead of the added "Puff at the Cuff" detail. I ended up going a completely different direction...

I was able to find a really close match when it came to fabric... I can't find the link now, but it's a wool blend suiting from Fashion Fabrics Club. I really Love their site, as you can find good "Blend" materials. They really give you the "Look" without the cost. It's not like buying the real deal, but when you have a toddler that $50 a yard 100% wool would buy a lot of diapers. haha!

Anyways, on to the changes.

I started out by "Franken-patterning" the bodice from Folkwear's Gibson Girl Blouse, and TVE-41 - 1903 Plain Blousewaist  for the top. I also followed the original image and used release tucks below the yoke. I then took a bit of a leap outside the norm for me and used "Black Snail Pattern's Edwardian Fan Skirt"  for the skirt. I ended up really loving this pattern! It came together like a dream! And fit perfectly! I highly recommend this pattern and will be going back for more of hers!

While searching in my stash for lace to go on the yoke of the bodice, I found a matching set of vintage pieces. I don't know what era they really are, but they worked. They ended up REALLY simplifying the look of the dress, though. Without the "Fluff" of the inspiration piece, the ruffle around the bottom of the skirt would have just been too much. So I eliminated it completely.

From there, I added a thin braided lace around the collar and cuff, which took it just beyond the realm of "Plain"

I can't tell you how much I loved this "Ensemble" (Which since I haven't mentioned... It IS separates, and not a dress as most originals would be) It was so comfortable, despite being wool, it also wasn't too hot. We did have a bit of a brisk day with highs in the low 50's F, but even in the house where it was heated and overcrowded, it was enjoyable.

From here, I'll let you enjoy the pictures! It was such a glorious day!

And here are some below that I edited for effect. 

I am not affiliated with any of the companies linked above, These are my pure unadulterated opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment